Simple, delicious, and doesn’t require you to turn your kitchen upside down. A great example of recipes combining sweet and savoury, with stringy cheese and greasy, crusty bread to fill you up almost immediately.
What you need:
- 8 slices of bread (Pro tip: rye bread, or a different kind of dark/black bread)
- A stick of cheese
- 3 onions
- Margarine or butter
- Optional: Balsamico
1. Fry the onions in a pan at low to medium heat with some butter or margarine, until brown (takes a while, about half an hour, so turn on the TV in the mean time)
2. Butter four slices of toast and arrange on a baking dish, buttered side down.
3. Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
4. Cover slices with caramelized onions.
5. Chop up the mushrooms and fry them at high heat in the same pan as the onions.
6. Add them on top of the onions.
7. Add slices of cheese on the top.
Pro tip: sprinkle some brown sugar over the cheese.
8. Cover it up with the other 4 slices of bread, and butter them on the top.
9. Bake at 450F for about 6-7 minutes on each side.