Black eyed peas? It’s a band. They’re shite. But their namesake makes a great casserole. Stores well, tastes great after a couple of days in the fridge.
What you’ll need (adapted from fatfreevegan.com):
- 1 1/2 cups of black eyed peas (make sure to remove little stones and other unwanted stuff)
- 2 onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups of rice
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cups of sliced spinach
- 2 cups of cheddar, grated
- Cilantro, lime and yoghurt to garnish
1. Boil beans in enough water (about 2 inches above beans) for about 30 minutes.
2. Fry onions for a couple of minutes, add pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and then stir in rice.
3. Boil for about 20 minutes with the vegetable broth and spices, covered until the rice is cooked.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Mix rice mixture with spinach, half of the cheese, in a big bowl.
6. Scrape into a 9×12 in casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese on top.
7. Bake 20 minutes, or until crisp, gold brown.